Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
WD 166 Word Chapter 3 Creating a Cover Letter and a Resume
To Apply a Quick Style
When you press the ENTER key in the letter, you want the insertion point to
advance to the next line, with no blank space between the lines. Recall that, by default, the
Normal style in Word places 10 points of blank space after each paragraph and inserts a
blank space equal to 1.15 lines between each line of text. The No Spacing style, however,
does not put any blank space between lines when you press the ENTER key. Thus, the following
step applies the No Spacing style to the current paragraph.
1 Click No Spacing in the Styles gallery to apply the No Spacing style to the current paragraph.
Include all essential letter elements.
Be sure to include all essential business letter elements, properly spaced, in your cover letter.
• The date line , which consists of the month, day, and year, is positioned two to six lines
below the letterhead.
• The inside address , placed three to eight lines below the date line, usually contains the
addressee’s courtesy title plus full name, job title, business afﬁ liation, and full geographical
• The salutation , if present, begins two lines below the last line of the inside address. If you
do not know the recipient’s name, avoid using the salutation “To whom it may concern” —
it is impersonal. Instead, use the recipient’s title in the salutation, e.g., Dear Personnel
• The body of the letter, the message , begins two lines below the salutation. Within the
message, paragraphs are single-spaced with one blank line between paragraphs.
• Two lines below the last line of the message, the complimentary close is displayed.
Capitalize only the ﬁ rst word in a complimentary close.
• Type the signature block at least four blank lines below the complimentary close, allowing
room for the author to sign his or her name.
Determine which letter style to use.
Three common business letter styles are the block, the modiﬁ ed block, and the modiﬁ ed
semi-block. Each style speciﬁ es different alignments and indentations.
• In the block letter style, all components of the letter begin ﬂ ush with the left margin.
• In the modiﬁ ed block letter style, the date, complimentary close, and signature block are
positioned approximately one-half inch to the right of center, or at the right margin. All
other components of the letter begin ﬂ ush with the left margin.
• In the modiﬁ ed semi-block letter style, the date, complimentary close, and signature
block are centered, positioned approximately one-half inch to the right of center, or at
the right margin. The ﬁ rst line of each paragraph in the body of the letter is indented
one-half to one inch from the left margin. All other components of the letter begin ﬂ ush
with the left margin.
The cover letter in this project follows the modiﬁ ed block style.