Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Extend Your Knowledge continued
Camden Scott College is a small liberal arts college. The Human Resources Director has created
an Access database in which to store information about candidates applying for faculty positions. You
will make some changes to the Candidate table so that it looks like that shown in Figure 1–101 and
create a report that both groups records and sorts them in ascending order.
Perform the following tasks:
1. Open the Candidate table in Datasheet view and change the column heading for the ID ﬁ eld to
2. Save the change and open the table in Design view.
3. Select a format for the App Date ﬁ eld that will produce the look shown in Figure 1–101.
4. Change the data type for the Documentation ﬁ eld so that it will match that shown in Figure 1–101.
5. Save the changes.
6. Open the table in Datasheet view. The Human Resources department has received an application
from Edward Klinger. Edward applied for the same position as Sarah Klinger on the same date
as Sarah. Edward’s phone number is 610-555-1111. He did submit all his documentation with his
application. Add this record.
7. Add the Quick Print button to the Quick Access Toolbar.
8. Create a report for the Candidate table that lists the Department Code, App Date, Last Name, and
First Name. Group the report by Department Code. Sort the report by App Date, Last Name, and then
First Name. Choose your own report style and use Candidate by Department as the title of the report.
9. Remove the Quick Print button from the Quick Access Toolbar.
10. Change the database properties, as speciﬁ ed by your instructor. Submit the revised database in the
format speciﬁ ed by your instructor.
Make It Right
Analyze a database and correct all errors and/or improve the design.
Correcting Errors in the Table Structure
Instructions: Start Access. Open the SciFi Scene database. See the inside back cover of this topic for
instructions for downloading the Data Files for Students, or see your instructor for information on
accessing the ﬁ les required in this topic.