Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
5. Double-click Customer to move this field to the Selected Fields list box, double-
click CustomerID , and then click the Next button. This dialog box lets you choose
a sort order for the combo box entries. Sarah wants the entries to appear in
ascending Customer order.
6. Click the arrow for the first list box, click Customer , and then click the Next but-
ton to open the next Combo Box Wizard dialog box.
7. Resize the columns to their best fit, scrolling down the columns to make sure all
values are visible and resizing again if they’re not, and then click the Next button.
In this dialog box, you select the foreign key, which is the CustomerID field.
8. Click CustomerID and then click the Next button.
In this dialog box, you specify the field in the tblContract table where you will
store the selected CustomerID value from the combo box. You’ll store the value in
the CustomerID field in the tblContract table.
9. Click the Store that value in this field option button, click its arrow , click
CustomerID , and then click the Next button.
Trouble? If CustomerID doesn’t appear in the list, click the Cancel button, press
the Delete key to delete the combo box, click the Add Existing Fields button in the
Tools group on the Ribbon, double-click CustomerID in the Field List pane, press
the Delete key to delete CustomerID, close the Field List pane, and then repeat
In this dialog box, you specify the name for the combo box control. You’ll use the
field name of CustomerID.
10. Type CustomerID and then click the Finish button. The completed CustomerID
combo box appears in the form.
You need to position and resize the combo box control, but first you’ll change the text
for the attached label from CustomerID to Customer ID with a terminating colon to
match the format used for other label controls in the form. To change the text for a label
control, you set the control’s Caption property value.
Reference Window | Changing a Label’s Caption
• Right-click the label to select it and to display the shortcut menu, and then click Proper-
ties to display the property sheet.
• If necessary, click the All tab to display the All page in the property sheet.
• Edit the existing text in the Caption text box; or click the Caption text box and press the
F2 key to select the current value, and then type a new caption.
• In the Tools group on the Design tab, click the Property Sheet button to close the prop-
Next, you’ll change the text that appears in the combo box label.