Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Improving a Form’s Appearance
The frmContractsAndInvoices form has four distinct areas: the Form Header section con-
taining the title and the Select Contract combo box, the six bound controls in the Detail
section, the two calculated controls in the Detail section, and the subform in the Detail
section. To visually separate these four areas, you’ll increase the height of the Form
Header section, add a horizontal line at the bottom of the Form Header section, and
draw a rectangle around the calculated controls.
Adding a Line to a Form
You can use lines in a form to improve the form’s readability, to group related informa-
tion, or to underline important values. You use the Line tool in Design view to add a line
to a form or report.
Adding a Line to a Form or Report
| Reference Window
• Display the form or report in Design view.
• In the Controls group on the Design tab, click the Line button.
• Position the pointer where you want the line to begin.
• Drag the pointer to the position for the end of the line, and then release the mouse
button. If you want to ensure that you draw a straight horizontal or vertical line, hold
down the Shift key before and during the drag operation.
• To make small adjustments to the line length, select the line, hold down the Shift key, and
then press an arrow key. To make small adjustments in the placement of a line, select the
line, hold down the Ctrl key, and then press an arrow key.
You will add a horizontal line to the Form Header section to separate the controls in
the this section from the controls in the Detail section.
To add a line to the form:
1. Switch to Design view, and then drag down the bottom of the Form Header section
to the 1-inch mark on the vertical ruler to make room to draw a horizontal line at
the bottom of the Form Header section.
2. In the Controls group on the Design tab, click the Line button .
3. Position the pointer’s plus symbol (+) at the left edge of the Form Header section
and at the 0.75-inch mark on the vertical ruler.
4. Hold down the Shift key, drag a horizontal line from left to right, so the end of the
line aligns with the right edge of the grid in the Form Header section, release the
mouse button, and then release the Shift key. See Figure 6-49.