Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Creating Mailing Labels
Sarah needs a set of mailing labels printed for all customers so she can mail a marketing
brochure and other materials to them. The tblCustomer table contains the name and
address information that will serve as the record source for the labels. Each mailing label
will have the same format: first name and last name on the first line; company name (if it
exists for the customer) on the second line; address on the third line; and city, state, and
zip code on the fourth line.
You could create a custom report to produce the mailing labels, but using the Label
Wizard is an easier and faster way to produce them. The Label Wizard provides tem-
plates for hundreds of standard label formats, each of which is uniquely identified by a
label manufacturer’s name and number. These templates specify the dimensions and
arrangement of labels on each page. Standard label formats can have between one and
five labels across a page; the number of labels printed on a single page also varies.
Sarah’s mailing labels are Avery number C2163; each sheet has 12 1.5-inch by 3.9-inch
labels arranged in two columns and six rows on the page.
Creating Mailing Labels and Other Labels
| Reference Window
• In the Navigation Pane, click the table or query that’ll serve as the record source for the
• In the Reports group on the Create tab, click the Labels button to start the Label Wizard
and open its first dialog box.
• Select the label manufacturer and its product number, and then click the Next button.
• Select the label font, color, and style, and then click the Next button.
• Construct the label content by selecting the fields from the record source and specifying
their placement and spacing on the label, and then click the Next button.
• Select one or more optional sort fields, click the Next button, specify the report name,
and then click the Finish button.
You’ll use the Label Wizard to create a report to produce mailing labels for all
To use the Label Wizard to create the mailing label report:
1. Open the Navigation Pane, click tblCustomer to make it the current object that’ll
serve as the record source for the labels, close the Navigation Pane, and then click
the Create tab on the Ribbon.
2. In the Reports group on the Create tab, click the Labels button. The first Label Wizard
dialog box opens and asks you to select the standard or custom label you’ll use.
3. Make sure that the English option button is selected in the Unit of Measure sec-
tion, that the Sheet feed option button is selected in the Label Type section, and
that Avery is selected in the Filter by manufacturer list box, and then click C2163
in the Product number list box. See Figure 7-40.