Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Figure 17-9: You can create a simple Gantt chart from a bar chart.
Column A contains the task name, column B contains the corresponding start date, and column C contains the
duration of the task, in days. Note that cell A1 does not have a descriptive label. Leaving that cell empty ensures
that Excel does not use columns A and B as the category axis.
Follow these steps to create this chart:
1. Select the range A1:C13 and create a Stacked Bar Chart.
2. Delete the legend.
3. Select the category (vertical) axis and display the Format Axis task pane.
4. In the Axis Options section, specify Categories in Reverse Order to display the tasks in order, starting at the
top. Choose Horizontal Axis Crosses at Maximum Category to display the dates at the bottom.
5. Select the Start Date data series and display the Format Data Series task pane.
6. In the Series Options section, set the Series Overlap to 100%. In the Fill section, specify No Fill. In the
Border section, specify No Line.
These steps effectively hide the data series.