Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
7. Select the value (horizontal) axis and display the Format Axis task pane.
8. In the Axis Options, adjust the Minimum and Maximum settings to accommodate the dates that you want to
display on the axis.
You can enter a date value, and Excel converts it to a date serial number. In the example, the Minimum is
5/3/2013, and the Maximum is 7/24/2013.
9. Apply other formatting as desired.
Handling missing data
Sometimes, data that you're charting may be missing one or more data points. As shown in the accompanying fig-
ure, Excel offers three ways to handle the missing data:
• Gaps: Missing data is simply ignored, and the data series will have a gap.
This is the default.
• Zero: Missing data is treated as zero.
• Connect with Line: Missing data is interpolated — calculated by using data on either side of the missing
This option is available only for line charts, area charts, and XY charts.
To specify how to deal with missing data for a chart, choose Chart Tools⇒Design⇒Data⇒Select Data. In the Select
Data Source dialog box, click the Hidden and Empty Cells button. Excel displays its Hidden and Empty Cell Set-
tings dialog box. Make your choice in the dialog box. The option that you select applies to the entire chart, and
you can't set a different option for different series in the same chart.