Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Chapter 11: Fine-tuning resource and assignment details
and assignment details
IN THIS CHAPTER, YOU WILL LEARN HOW TO
▪ Set resource availability to change over time.
▪ Set up different pay rates for resources.
▪ Set up pay rates that will change over time for a resource.
▪ Set up a material resource.
▪ Delay the start of a resource assignment.
▪ Control how a resource’s work on a task is distributed over time by using work
▪ Apply different cost rates for a resource to account for different kinds of work
performed by the resource.
▪ Assign a material resource to a task.
▪ View resources’ capacities to do work.
▪ Adjust resource assignments in the Team Planner view (Project Professional only).
Because work resources (people and equipment) are often the most expensive part of a
project, understanding how to make the best use of resources’ time is an important
projectplanning skill. In this chapter, you use a variety of advanced Microsoft Project 2013 features
relating to resources—their availability, assignments to tasks, and resulting costs. Project
Professional users also use the Team Planner view to manage assignments.
PRACTICE FILES Before you can complete the exercises in this chapter, you need to copy
the book’s practice files to your computer. A complete list of practice files is provided in
“Download the practice files” at the beginning of this topic. For each exercise that has a
practice file, simply browse to where you saved the book’s practice file folder.