Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Chapter 12: Fine-tuning the Project plan
IN THIS CHAPTER, YOU WILL LEARN HOW TO
▪ Look at how resources are scheduled to work over the duration of a project.
▪ Edit a resource assignment to resolve a resource overallocation.
▪ Resolve resource overallocations automatically.
▪ Check the plan’s overall cost and finish date.
▪ Inactivate tasks so that they remain in the plan but have no effect on the schedule
(Project Professional only).
In the previous three chapters, you focused on details about tasks, resources, and
assignments. Now, you will examine the results of your previous work on the schedule
and dive deeper into resource assignments. In some cases, you’ll revisit Project features
introduced in previous chapters, but in this chapter your focus is on managing across the
entire plan, including overall duration and cost.
PRACTICE FILES Before you can complete the exercises in this chapter, you need to copy
the book’s practice files to your computer. A complete list of practice files is provided in
“Download the practice files” at the beginning of this topic. For each exercise that has a
practice file, simply browse to where you saved the book’s practice file folder.
IMPORTANT If you are running Project Professional with Project Web App/Project Server, take
care not to save any of the practice files you work with in this topic to Project Web App (PWA). For
more information, see Appendix C, “Collaborating: Project, SharePoint, and PWA.”