Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Deviating from the Middle
In Figure 9-4, cell D15 shows the variance calculated directly with the VAR.S
Try it yourself. Here’s how:
1. Enter a list of numerical values.
Any mix of numbers will do.
2. Position the cursor in the cell where you want the variance to appear.
3. Enter =VAR.S( to start the function.
4. Drag the pointer over the list, or enter the address of the range.
5. Enter a ) and press the Enter key.
Variance is calculated on either a population of data or a sample of the
✓ The VAR.S function calculates variance on a sample of a population’s data.
✓ The VAR.P function calculates variance on the full population.
The calculation is slightly different in that the denominator for variance of a
population is the number of items. The denominator for variance of a sample
is the number of items less one. Figure 9-5 shows how VAR.S and VAR.P are
used on a sample and the full population. Cells A4:A43 contain the number of
hours of television watched daily by 40 individuals.