Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
What’s in the Future: Using FORECAST, TREND, and GROWTH to Make Predictions
3. Label this area Actual Data .
4. In another section of the worksheet, enter the numbers 13 through 18
adjacent cells (empty at present) by dragging over them.
6. Type =TREND( to start the function entry.
7. Drag the mouse over the range of known Y values, or enter the range
The known Y values are the income figures entered in Step 2.
8. Enter a comma ( ,).
9. Drag the mouse over the range of known X values, or enter the range
The known X values are the numbers 1 through 12 entered in Step 1.
10. Enter a comma ( ,).
11. Drag the mouse over the list of month numbers for which you want
projections (the numbers 13 through 18).
These are the new X values.
12. Enter a ).
13. Press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to complete the formula.
When you’ve completed these steps, you’ll see the projected income figures,
calculated by the TREND function, displayed in the worksheet. An example is
shown in Figure 11-6. There’s no assurance you’ll have this income — but it
may be even higher! You can always hope for the best.
for an array.