Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Laying Out the Diagram Shapes
You can create a hanging relationship between shapes before or after you
create the subordinate shapes. Follow these steps to create a hanging
1. Select the shape to which other shapes will hang or are hanging.
2. On the (SmartArt Tools) Design tab, click the Layout button.
3. On the drop-down list, choose Both, Left Hanging, or Right Hanging.
Promoting and demoting shapes
in hierarchy diagrams
Shapes in hierarchy diagrams are ranked by level. If a shape is on the
wrong level, you can move it higher or lower in the diagram by clicking the
Promote or Demote button on the (SmartArt Tools) Design tab. Promoting
and demoting shapes can turn into a donnybrook if you aren’t careful. If the
shapes being promoted or demoted are attached to subordinate shapes, the
subordinate shapes are promoted or demoted as well. This can have
unforeseen and sometimes horrendous consequences.
Follow these steps to promote or demote a shape (and its subordinates) in a
1. Select the shape that needs a change of rank.
You can select more than one shape by Ctrl+clicking.
2. Go to the (SmartArt Tools) Design tab.
3. Click the Promote or Demote button.
Do you like what you see? If not, you may have to click the Undo button
and start all over.