Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Making Text Jiggle
Making Text Jiggle
One of my favorite cute little animations is to make text — especially a short
heading — jiggle. Not a lot, but just a little. The effect works best if the text has
a funny typeface, such as Cosmic or Jokerman. By using a very small motion
path and setting the timing options to repeat until the end of the slide, you can
make the text jiggle just a little bit the entire time the slide is onscreen:
1. Type the text that you want to jiggle and use the Font drop-down list
to choose an appropriately silly typeface.
Jokerman is a favorite font for jiggling text.
2. Use the Zoom control at the bottom-right corner of the screen to zoom
in to 400%.
You want to zoom way in so that you can draw a very small motion path.
3. On the Animation tab, click Add Animation and then choose Custom
Path from the Motion Paths section of the gallery. (You probably have
to scroll the gallery to see this option.)
The cursor changes to a little pencil.
4. Draw a tightly knit scribble pattern directly in the center of the text.
Just wiggle the pencil cursor back and forth and up and down in an area
of just a few pixels. Go back and forth quite a few times to make the
jiggle effect appear to be random.
5. Zoom back out to normal size.
6. In the Custom Animation task pane, click the arrow next to the
animation you just created and then choose Timing.
This step brings up the dialog box that lets you set the timing options.
7. Change the speed to 2 seconds and the Repeat drop-down to Until End
of Slide. Then click OK.
8. Run the slide show to check the effect.
You might have to try this several times before you get an effect you like,
adjusting the random scribbles or the duration of the animation. Don’t be
afraid to experiment!
Using the Animation Painter
The Animation Painter makes it easy to copy a complete animation effect
from one object to another. To use the Animation Painter, follow these steps:
1. Use the techniques presented throughout this chapter to apply an
animation effect to one of the objects in your slide show.