Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Working with Organization Charts
3. Click the Add Shape button to reveal a menu of choices. Then select
one of the following options:
• Add Shape Before: Inserts a new box at the same level as the
selected box, immediately to its left.
• Add Shape After: Inserts a new box at the same level as the selected
box, immediately to its right.
• Add Shape Above: Inserts a new box above the selected box.
• Add Shape Below: Inserts a new box beneath the selected box.
• Add Assistant: Inserts a new box beneath the selected box, but the
new box is connected with a special elbow connector to indicate
that the box is an Assistant, not a subordinate.
4. Click the new box and then type whatever text you want to appear in
5. If necessary, drag the box to adjust its location.
Deleting chart boxes
To delete a box from an organization chart, select the box and press Delete.
PowerPoint automatically adjusts the chart to compensate for the lost box.
When you delete a box from an organization chart, you should observe a
moment of somber silence — or throw a party. It all depends on whose name
was in the box, I suppose.
Changing the chart layout
PowerPoint lets you choose from four methods of arranging subordinates in
an organization chart branch:
✓ Standard: Subordinate shapes are placed at the same level beneath the
✓ Both Hanging: Subordinates are placed two per level beneath the
superior with the connecting line between them.
✓ Left Hanging: Subordinates are stacked vertically beneath the superior,
to the left of the connecting line.
✓ Right Hanging: Subordinates are stacked vertically beneath the superior,
to the right of the connecting line.