Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Finding optimal solutions by using Solver
TIP After you run Solver, you can use the commands in the Solver Results dialog box to
save the results as changes to your worksheet or create a scenario based on the changed
In this exercise, you’ll use Solver to determine the best mix of ads given the following
▪ You want to maximize the number of people who view the ads.
▪ You must buy at least 8 ads in three magazines and at least 10 in the fourth.
▪ You can’t buy part of an ad (that is, all numbers must be integers).
▪ You can buy no more than 20 ads in any one magazine.
▪ You must reach at least 10,000,000 people.
▪ Your ad budget is $3,000,000.
SET UP You need the AdBuy workbook located in the Chapter08 practice file folder to
complete this exercise. Open the workbook, and then follow the steps.
If the Solver button doesn’t appear in the Analysis group on the Data tab, follow the
instructions described earlier to install it.
In the Analysis group on the Data tab, click Solver to open the Solver Parameters
In the Solver Parameters dialog box, click Options to open the Options dialog box.
On the All Methods page of the dialog box, clear the Ignore Integer Constraints
check box, and then click OK .
Click in the Set Objective box, and then click cell G9 . $G$9 appears in the Set
Click Max .