Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Using Formatting with Dates
44. Look for the date example of 03/14/2012. Ha, ha. There is no date ex-
ample like that. All of the date examples have two-digit years. When
the Y2K problem hit, they added a few examples with four-digit years,
but none have two digits for month and day.
55. Click the Custom category instead of the Date category.
66. In the Type: box, type MM/DD/YYYY
MM/DD/YYYY, and then click OK.
77. Now that the column is formatted to show the leading zeroes in the
dates, type 3/5/1970
3/5/1970 in G2. When you press Enter, Excel reformats the
entry as 03/05/1970.
88. Go to cell G3 and type 11/10/1950
11/10/1950. Press Enter.
99. With the cell pointer in column G, click Flash Fill. Excel correctly
Figure 2.12. With careful date formatting in advance, Flash Fill works with
With careful date formatting in advance, Flash Fill works with