Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Case Problem 1
Use your skills
to explore the
contents of a
computer for a
There are no Data Files needed for this Case Problem.
First Call Electronics First Call Electronics is a small business in Atlanta, Georgia,
that provides training and repair services for electronic devices, including computers,
cell phones, cameras, and portable music players. Antoine Guillaume runs the training
department and has hired you to conduct one-on-one training sessions with new
computer users. You are preparing for a visit to a client who wants to determine the contents
of his new Windows 7 computer, including sample media ﬁ les and related programs
already provided in folders or menus.
Some of the following steps instruct you to list the contents of windows. Refer to the
instructions in the ProSkills exercise at the end of this tutorial if you want to print images
of these windows instead. Complete the following steps:
1. Start Windows 7 and log on, if necessary.
2. Open a folder window.
3. List the names of the drives on the computer.
4. Click the Pictures link in the Navigation pane. Does the Pictures library contain any
folders? If so, what are the names of the folders?
5. In the Navigation pane, expand the hard disk, such as Local Disk (C:), to display its
contents. Navigate the folders on your computer to ﬁ nd the folder displayed in the
Pictures library. Where is that folder located in the folder structure of your computer?
6. Open any folder in the Pictures library that contains images. View the ﬁ les as Extra
7. Navigate to a folder that contains other types of media ﬁ les, such as music, videos,
or recorded TV. Point to a ﬁ le to display the ScreenTip. What type of ﬁ le did you
select? What details are provided in the ScreenTip?
8. Use the Start menu to display the contents of the Accessories folder in the All
Programs list, and then click Getting Started. Describe the contents of the Getting
9. Close all open windows, and then use the Start menu to open a program that you
could use with DVDs. What program did you start?
10. Use the Start menu to open any program you might use with music or sound ﬁ les.
What program did you start?
11. Open Windows Help and Support, and then ﬁ nd and read topics that explain how
to use a program you started in a previous step. Explain the purpose of one of the
12. Close all open windows.
13. Submit your answers to the preceding questions to your instructor, either in printed
or electronic form, as requested.