Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Apply your skills
to create a l yer
Case Problem 2
Data Files needed for this Case Problem: EdInvest.docx, Seal.jpg
Pear Tree Investment Services You work as a ﬁ nancial planner at Pear Tree Investment
Services. You are developing a new program, EdInvest, which encourages parents to save
for their children’s college educations. In order to get the word out, you asked a program
assistant at the Department of Education to give a presentation at a local high school
for parents of college-bound students. You will create a ﬂ yer announcing the
presentation, and then create an envelope to use when you send the ﬂ yer to the school principal.
Complete the following steps:
1. Open the ﬁ le EdInvest located in the Word1\Case2 folder provided with your Data
Files, and then save the document as EdInvest Flyer in the same folder.
2. Change the page orientation to Portrait and the margins to Moderate.
3. Replace YOUR NAME with your ﬁ rst and last name.
4. Select the ﬁ rst paragraph and format it with the text effect located in the lower-left
corner of the Text Effect gallery (Gradient Fill – Blue, Accent 1, Outline – White, Glow –
Accent 2), and then change the font size to 48 points. Finally, center the paragraph.
5. Use the Format Painter to copy the formatting of the ﬁ rst paragraph (with the new,
blue text effect and the center alignment) to the last paragraph of text, which reads
“Start saving today!”
6. Select the middle ﬁ ve paragraphs of text, format them in 16-point Arial Black, and
change the font color to Dark Blue.
7. Right-align the ﬁ ve selected paragraphs, so the right edge of each paragraph aligns
at the right margin. Depending on how long your name is, the paragraph containing
your name might wrap to a second line.
8. Change the line spacing for the ﬁ ve selected paragraphs to 1.0 and then remove
extra space between paragraphs.
9. Add a single outline border to surround the ﬁ ve right-aligned paragraphs, and then
shade the paragraphs inside the border with blue shading, using the Blue, Accent 1,
Lighter 40% color in the fourth row of the Theme Colors section of the Shading
10. Create a new paragraph at the end of the document, switch to One Page view, and
insert the picture Seal.jpg from the Word1\Case2 folder provided with your Data Files.
11. Resize the picture until its bottom border is positioned just above the bottom page
12. Save the document, preview and print it, and then close it.
13. Open a new, blank document, and save it as Flyer Envelope in the Word1\Case2
folder provided with your Data Files.
14. Create an envelope for the ﬂ yer, using the following address:
Principal James Handke
Monona Valley High School
465 Ash Street
Monona, ID 83756
Click the Omit check box to deselect it (if necessary), and then, for the return
address, type your own address. Add the envelope to the document. If you are asked
if you want to save the return address as the new default return address, answer No.
If your computer is connected to a printer that is stocked with envelopes, click the
File tab to open Backstage view, click the Print tab, click the Pages option button,
type 1 in the Pages box, and then click the OK button.
15. Save and close the document.