Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Indenting a Paragraph
To indent the first line of each paragraph:
1. On the first page of the document, just below the title, click anywhere in the first
main paragraph, which begins “Humans have always been fascinated….”
2. On the horizontal ruler, position the mouse pointer over the First Line Indent
marker. When you see the ScreenTip that reads “First Line Indent” you know the
mouse is positioned correctly.
3. Press and hold the mouse button as you drag the First Line Indent marker
right to the .5 inch mark on the horizontal ruler. As you drag, a dotted vertical
line appears over the document. You can use this line as a guide to align indents
in a document. A dimmed version of the Left Indent marker remains in its original
position until you release the mouse button. See Figure 2-22.
Dragging the Left Indent marker
copy of Fir st Line
remains in its
until you release
the mouse button
.5 inch mark
guide line appears
as you drag the
4. When the Left Indent marker is positioned at the .5 inch mark on the ruler, release
the mouse button. The marker remains in its new position and the vertical guide
line disappears. The first line of the paragraph containing the insertion point
indents .5 inch.
5. Click anywhere in the next paragraph in the document, which begins “To judge
by the enormous box office earnings…”, and then drag the First Line indent right
to the .5 inch mark on the horizontal ruler. As you move the indent marker, you
can use the vertical guide line as an extra check to make sure you match the first
line indent of both paragraphs. You could continue to drag the indent marker to
indent the first line of the remaining body paragraphs, but it’s faster to use the
Repeat button on the Quick Access toolbar.
6. Click in the paragraph below the heading “Disasters in Silent Films,” and then
click the Repeat button
on the Quick Access toolbar.
7. Click in the next paragraph that begins “Personal dramas focus on,” and then
8. Continue using the
button to indent the first line of all the remaining body
9. Scroll to the top of the document, verify that you have correctly indented the first
line of each body paragraph, and then save the document.