Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Creating Footnotes and Endnotes
footnote 4 so that it falls before the paragraph containing footnote 1, Word renumbers all
the footnotes in the document to keep them sequential.
Inserting a Footnote or an Endnote
• Click the location in the document where you want to insert a footnote or endnote.
• Click the References tab, and then in the Footnotes group, click the Insert Footnote
button or the Insert Endnote button.
• Type the text of the footnote in the bottom margin of the page, or the text of the
endnote at the end of the document.
• When you are finished typing the text of a footnote, click in the body of the document
to continue working on the document.
Robin asks you to insert a footnote at the end of the paragraph just above the
heading “Final Recommendation.” The last sentence of this paragraph refers to studies on the
effectiveness of residential energy audits. Robin wants a footnote that explains where
more information about those studies can be found.
To add a footnote to the report:
1. Near the bottom of page 1, click at the end of the paragraph located just before
the heading “Final Recommendation” to position the insertion point to the right of
the period after “household.”
2. Click the References tab, and then click the Insert Footnote button in the
Footnotes group. A superscript “1” is inserted to the right of the period after
“household.” Word also inserts the number “1” in the bottom margin below a
separator line. The insertion point is now located next to the number in the
bottom margin, ready for you to type the text of the footnote. See Figure 3-24.
Inserting a footnote
click to insert