Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Navigating Within a Worksheet
To use the Go To dialog box and Name box:
1. Click the Home tab on the Ribbon, if necessary. The button to open the Go To
dialog box is in the Editing group.
You can also open the
Go To dialog box by
pressing the F5 key or the
2. In the Editing group, click the Find & Select button, and then click Go To on the
menu that opens. The Go To dialog box opens.
3. Type C14 in the Reference box. See Figure 1-3.
Go To dialog box
cell reference for
the cell that you
want to make active
Trouble? If your screen varies slightly from those shown in the figures, your
computer might be set up differently. The figures in this topic were created while
running Windows 7 using the default Windows 7 settings, but how your screen looks
depends on a variety of things, including the version of Windows, background
settings, monitor resolution, and so forth.
4. Click the OK button. Cell C14 is the active cell and its cell reference appears in
the Name box. You’ll use the Name box to make a different cell active.
5. Click in the Name box, type , and then press the Enter key. Cell A1 is once A1
again the active cell.
To view more of the active worksheet, you can use the horizontal and vertical scroll
bars, located at the bottom and right side of the workbook window, respectively, to move
through the worksheet horizontally and vertically. You can scroll one row or column at a
time, or you can scroll several rows and columns. Scrolling through the worksheet does
not change the location of the active cell.
To scroll through the worksheet:
1. Click the down arrow on the vertical scroll bar three times. The worksheet scrolls
down three rows, but the active cell remains cell A1.
2. Click the right arrow on the horizontal scroll bar twice. The worksheet scrolls
two columns to the right. The active cell still remains cell A1, although that cell is
scrolled out of view.
3. Drag the vertical scroll box up until you can see the first row in the worksheet.
4. Drag the horizontal scroll box to the left until you can see the first column in the