Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Overlaying a Chart Legend
To overlay and format the chart legend:
1. Double-click the legend to open the Format Legend dialog box.
2. Click the Show the legend without overlapping the chart check box to remove
the check mark. The legend moves left, overlaying the chart. The plot and the
legend intersect, and the plot area shows through the legend.
3. Click Fill on the left side of the Format Legend dialog box, and then click the
Solid fill option button.
4. Click the Color button , and then click white (the first color in the Theme Colors
section). The legend now has a solid white background, making it easier to read.
5. Click Border Color on the left side of the Format Legend dialog box, and then
click the Solid line option button.
6. Click the Color button
, and then click Blue (the eighth color in the Standard
7. Click the Close button. The Format Legend dialog box closes, and the reformatted
legend overlays the chart.
An overlaid chart element ﬂ oats in the chart area and is not ﬁ xed to a particular
position. This means that you can drag the chart element to a new location. This is helpful
because when you overlay a chart element, it might overlap some of the chart contents,
as the legend does. You’ll drag the overlaid legend down a bit so that it doesn’t obscure
any of the data in the line chart.
To move the chart legend:
1. Position the pointer over a blank spot in the chart legend so the pointer changes
and “Legend” appears in a ScreenTip.
2. Drag the legend to the lower-right corner of the plot area so the bottom of the
legend is on the horizontal axis.
3. Click and drag the upper-left sizing handle of the legend down a few pixels until
the legend no longer overlaps the lines on the chart. See Figure 4-25.
Legend overlaid, moved, and resized
the line s