Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
6. If necessary, resize the columns in the datasheet so that all the ﬁ eld values are
completely displayed, and then save the Donor table.
7. Close the Donor table, and then use the Navigation Pane to reopen it. Note that the
records are displayed in primary key order.
8. Use the Simple Query Wizard to create a query that includes all the ﬁ elds in the
Donor table except the Title ﬁ eld. ( Hint : Use the and buttons to select the
necessary ﬁ elds.) Save the query using the name DonorPhoneList .
The query results are displayed in order by the DonorID ﬁ eld values. You can specify 9.
a different order by sorting the query. Display the Home tab. Then, click the insertion
point anywhere in the LastName column to make it the current ﬁ eld. In the Sort &
Filter group on the Home tab, click the Ascending button. The records are now listed
in order by the values in the LastName ﬁ eld. Save and close the query.
10. Use the Form tool to create a form for the Donor table. In the new form, navigate
to record 8, and then print the form for the current record only . ( Hint : You must use
the Print dialog box in order to print only the current record. Go to Backstage view,
click the Print command, and then click Print to open the Print dialog box. Click the
Selected Record(s) option button and then click the OK button to print the current
record.) Save the form as DonorInfo , and then close it.
11. Use the Report tool to create a report based on the Donor table. In Layout view,
resize each ﬁ eld so it is slightly wider than the longest entry (either the ﬁ eld name
itself or an entry in the ﬁ eld). All ﬁ ve ﬁ elds should ﬁ t within the page area after
resizing. Move the text “Page 1 of 1” to the left so it is within the page area. Also, resize
the box containing the total amount that appears below the DonorID column so that
the amount is completely displayed. Display the report in Print Preview and verify
that the ﬁ elds and page number ﬁ t within the page area. Save the report as DonorList .
Print the report (only if asked by your instructor to do so), and then close it.
12. Close the Donor table, and then compact and repair the Rossi database.
13. Close the Rossi database.
Case Problem 4
new skills to
create a database
for a luxury rental
Data File needed for this Case Problem: Travel.accdb
GEM Ultimate Vacations As guests of a friend, Grifﬁ n and Emma MacElroy spent two
weeks at a magniﬁ cent villa in the south of France. This unforgettable experience stayed
with them upon returning to their home in a suburb of Chicago, Illinois. As a result,
they decided to open their own agency, GEM Ultimate Vacations, which specializes in
locating and booking luxury rental properties, primarily in Europe. Recently, Grifﬁ n and
Emma expanded their business to include properties in Africa as well. From the
beginning, Grifﬁ n and Emma used computers to help them manage all aspects of their
business. They recently installed Access and now would like you to create a database to store
information about guests, properties, and reservations. Complete the following:
1. Create a new, blank database named GEM , and then save it in the Access1\Case4
folder provided with your Data Files.
2. In Datasheet view for the Table1 table, rename the default primary key ID ﬁ eld to
GuestID . Change the data type of the GuestID ﬁ eld to Text.
3. Add the following eight Text ﬁ elds to the new table in the order shown: GuestFirst ,
GuestLast , Address , City , State/Prov , PostalCode , Country , and Phone . Resize the
columns, if necessary, so that the complete ﬁ eld names are displayed. Save the table
as Guest .
4. Enter the records shown in Figure 1-34 in the Guest table. For the ﬁ rst record,
be sure to enter your ﬁ rst name in the GuestFirst ﬁ eld and your last name in the
GuestLast ﬁ eld.