Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Use your skills
to create and
for a recycling
Case Problem 3
Data Files needed for this Case Problem: Agency.txt, Rossi.accdb ( cont. from
Tutorial 1 ), Gifts.xlsx, and Recycle.accdb
Rossi Recycling Group Tom Rossi uses the Rossi database to maintain information
about the donors, agencies, and donations to his not-for-proﬁ t agency. Tom asks you
to help him maintain the database by updating one table and creating two new ones.
Complete the following steps:
1. Open the Rossi database, which you created and stored in the Access1\Case3 folder
in Tutorial 1.
2. Open the Donor table in Design view, and change the following ﬁ eld properties:
a. DonorID: Enter Primary key for the description, change the ﬁ eld size to , and 5
enter Donor ID for the caption.
b. Title: Change the ﬁ eld size to .
c. FirstName: Change the ﬁ eld size to and enter First Name for the caption. 20
d. LastName: Change the ﬁ eld size to and enter Last Name for the caption. 25
e. Phone: Change the ﬁ eld size to 14.
3. Save and close the Donor table. Click the Yes button when a message appears
indicating some data might be lost.
4. Tom created a table named Agency in the Recycle database that is located in the
Access1\Case3 folder provided with your Data Files. Import the structure of the
Agency table in the Recycle database into a new table named Agency in the Rossi
database. Do not save the import steps.
5. Open the Agency table in Datasheet view, and then delete the following ﬁ elds from
the table: Fax Number, Mobile Phone, and Notes.
6. Rename the ID ﬁ eld to AgencyID , and change its data type to Text.
7. Use the Address Quick Start selection in the Data Type gallery to add ﬁ ve ﬁ elds
between the First Name and Phone ﬁ elds. ( Hint: Be sure to make the Phone ﬁ eld the
active ﬁ eld before adding the new ﬁ elds.)
8. Switch to Design view, and then modify the Agency table so that it matches the
design shown in Figure 2-53, including the ﬁ eld names and their order. Make
sure the AgencyID ﬁ eld is speciﬁ ed as the primary key. Also, be sure to delete the
CountryRegion ﬁ eld from the table, and delete the Caption property values for the
ﬁ elds added with the Address Quick Start selection.
Design for the Agency table
Caption = Agency ID
Caption = Agency Name
Caption = Contact First Name
Caption = Contact Last Name
9. Save your changes to the table design, add the records shown in Figure 2-54 to the
Agency table, and then close the Agency table.