Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
• Mail merge enables you to insert information automatically from
an Excel spreadsheet into the right places in a Word document.
• Put dummy text of an appropriate length into your standard
document to help you to design it.
• Check the quality and completeness of your information in Excel
before bringing it into Word.
• To bring your Excel spreadsheet information into Word, use Select
Recipients on the Mailings ribbon, even if the spreadsheet isn’t
• Use Edit Recipient List on the Mailings ribbon to change which rows
of your spreadsheet (known as ‘records’ in Word) will be used.
• If you’re using advanced ﬁ ltering options, only combine them with
AND if you need all the ﬁ lters to be true at the same time, in order
for that person to be included (eg the person should be called Jones
AND be from London).
• If you want either of the ﬁ lters to qualify someone for inclusion, use
OR instead (eg the person should be called Jones OR be from
• Whenever you want to add information taken from your
spreadsheet, use Insert Merge Field on the Mailings ribbon to insert a mail
• You can use as much or as little of the information that is available
in each person’s record as you like.
• Click the Preview Results button to test the mail merge.
• Don’t make any edits to individual invitations while in Preview
mode. Your changes will be discarded.