Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Customizing the Ribbon
Figure 12-1: The Customize Ribbon tab of the Excel Options dialog box.
Customizing the Ribbon is very similar to customizing the Quick Access toolbar, which is
described in Tip 11. The only difference is that you need to decide where to put the command
within the Ribbon. The general procedure is
1. Use the drop-down list on the left (labeled Choose Command From) to display various
groups of commands.
2. Locate the command in the list box on the left and select it.
3. Use the drop-down list on the right (labeled Customize The Ribbon) to choose a group of
Main Tabs refer to the tabs that are always visible; Tool Tabs refer to the contextual tabs
that appear when a particular object is selected.
4. In the list box on the right, select the tab and the group where you would like to put the
You’ll need to click the “plus sign” controls to expand the hierarchical lists. Remember
that you cannot add commands to built-in groups, so you might need to use the New Tab
or New Group button to add a tab or group.
5. Click the Add button to add the selected command from the left to the group on the