Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Getting Your Fields Lined Up in Layout View
6. Click Yes when Access asks whether you want to save it.
7. Type a name for the form, and click OK.
Don’t worry if you can’t get your form to look right in Layout view. Design
view, which we describe in Chapter 2 of this minibook, gives you much finer
control of your form. Layout view is great for getting the overall
arrangement right, but you can’t use it for everything.
Adding and deleting rows and
columns in the control layout
You can open some rows and columns in the control layout in Layout view
to make space for your new controls. Here’s how:
1. Click a control on your form that you want to change.
2. Click one of these buttons in the Rows & Columns group on the
Arrange tab of the Ribbon:
• Insert Above: Adds a row above the control
Insert Below: Adds a row below the control •
• Insert Left: Adds a column to the control’s left
• Insert Right: Adds a column to the control’s right
3. Drag fields into the blank rows and columns in the control layout.
If you end up with an empty row or column in your control layout, you can
get rid of it. Right-click the empty row or column and choose Delete Row or
Delete Column from the contextual menu.
Controlling your control layouts
What if you don’t want your controls to line up neatly in rows and columns?
You may want the text boxes for the City, State, and Zip Code fields to
appear right next to one another, the way they look on an addressed
envelope. You need to remove the control layout that forces these text box
controls into line.
To see exactly what’s in a control layout, click somewhere in the control
layout and then click the Select Layout button in the Rows & Columns group
on the Arrange tab of the Ribbon. Orange lines appear around the control
layout, separating its rows and columns. Here are some things to do with
your control layout:
✦ Change the spacing between the rows and columns. You can adjust
the padding (space) by selecting the control layout and then clicking the