Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
graphical user interface (GUI)
Help and Support Center
Microsoft Windows XP
most frequently used
pinned items list
There are no Data Files needed for the Review Assignments.
Practice the skills you
learned in the tutorial.
Steve Laslow offers a practice session as a follow-up to his basic Windows XP course.
You’ll start working on the Windows XP desktop, with no windows opened or minimized.
Complete the following steps, recording your answers to any questions according to your
1. Start Windows XP and log on, if necessary.
2. Use the mouse to point to each object on your desktop. Record the names of each
object as they appear in the ScreenTips.
3. Click the Start button. How many menu items or commands are on the Start menu?
4. Run the WordPad program located on the Accessories menu. How many program buttons
are now on the taskbar (don’t count toolbar buttons or items in the notification area)?
5. Run the Paint program and maximize the Paint window. How many programs are
6. Switch to WordPad. What are two visual clues that tell you that WordPad is the active
7. Close WordPad, and then restore the Paint window.
8. Open the Recycle Bin window. Record the number of items it contains.
9. Drag the Recycle Bin window so that you can see it and the Paint window.
10. Close the Paint window from the taskbar.
11. Open the File menu in the Recycle Bin window. Write down the commands on the
menu. Press the Esc key to close the menu.
12. Use any menu in the Recycle Bin window to open a dialog box. What steps did you
perform? What dialog box did you open? For what do you think you use this dialog
box? Click Cancel to close the dialog box.
13. Close the Recycle Bin window.