Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
If you receive a message that contains an attachment, you can choose to save or open the
attachment. To open the attachment, you need to make sure the program used to create the
attachment is installed on your computer. If the program is not installed, sometimes you can
use a text editor, such as WordPad or Notepad, to open and read the attached file. The file
attached to the First Meeting message will open in Microsoft Word.
To open the message containing the attachment:
1. Click the Send/Recv button on the toolbar.
2. Click the First Meeting message in the message list so the contents appear in the preview
pane. See Figure 24. The paperclip icon in the upper-right corner of the preview pane indi-
cates that the message contains an attachment.
Message with attachment
paperclip icon indicates
3. Click the paperclip icon to display a list of attachments and the Save Attachments option.
4. Click the B&B Ideas file. The Open Attachment Warning dialog box opens. Outlook Express
displays this dialog box not only to provide options for saving or opening the attachments,
but also to warn you that attachments can contain viruses , which are programs that can
harm your computer. Only open or save a file from known sources to ensure that the files
you download to your computer are safe and virus-free.
You could save the file, but try opening the file instead.
5. Click the Open it option button. The file opens in the program in which it was created (in
this case, Word). Opening the file before saving it can save time in the end. You can read
the file and then decide if you want to save it. You can save it from within the program with
the same name or a new name.