Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
You’ll see how the Spelling and Grammar checker works as you check the Tree FAQ
document for mistakes.
To check the Tree FAQ document for spelling and grammatical errors:
1. Press Ctrl+Home to verify that the insertion point is located at the beginning of the docu-
ment, to the left of the “F” in “Frequently Asked Questions.”
2. Click the Spelling and Grammar button on the Standard toolbar. The Spelling and
Grammar dialog box opens with the word “About” highlighted in green, indicating a possi-
ble grammatical error. The word “about” (with a lowercase “a”) is suggested as a possible
replacement. The line immediately under the dialog box title bar indicates the possible
type of problem, in this case, Capitalization. See Figure 2-4. Prepositions of five or more
letters are capitalized in titles so no change is required here.
Trouble? If you see the word “plannting” selected instead of “About,” your computer is
not set up to check grammar. Click the Check grammar check box to insert a check, and
then click Cancel to close the Spelling and Grammar dialog box. Repeat Steps 1 and 2.
Spelling and Grammar dialog box
click to select
3. Click the Ignore Rule button. The word “plannting” is highlighted in red, with “planting,”
“planning,” and “plantings” listed as possible corrections.
4. Verify that “planting” is highlighted in the Suggestions list box, and then click the Change
button. “Planting” is inserted into the document, and the misspelled word “shalllow” is
highlighted in the document.
5. Verify that “shallow” is selected in the Suggestions list box, and then click the Change button.
The word “composts” is highlighted in green, with “and composts” listed as a possible correc-
tion. The type of problem “Comma Use” has to do with using a comma without “and” before
the last item in a list. Marilee likes the list as it stands, so you’ll ignore this suggestion.
6. Click the Ignore Rule button. You click Ignore Rule to ignore the rule throughout the entire
document. (You can click Ignore Once to ignore a grammatical rule in the currently