Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Trouble? If the header area displays “Header -Section 1-,” click the Show Next button
on the Header and Footer toolbar until the header area displays “Header -Section 2-.”
Trouble? If the text of the document doesn’t appear on the screen, click the Show/Hide
Document Text button
on the Header and Footer toolbar, and continue with Step 3.
3. Click the Link to Previous button on the Header and Footer toolbar to deselect it.
When Link to Previous is selected, Word automatically inserts the header text you create in
one section in the previous section. You deselected it to ensure that the header text you
create in section 2 applies only to the current section (section 2), and not to the previous
section (section 1).
4. Type Options for Establishing a Wide Area Network . The title is automatically aligned
on the left. See Figure 3-12.
report title in header for section 2
deselected so header text
prints only in section 2
5. Press the Tab key to move the insertion point to the next available tab stop, on the right
margin of the header area. (Notice that by default the header contains Center and Right
6. Type the word Page , and then press the spacebar once.
7. Click the Insert Page Number button on the Header and Footer toolbar. The page
number “2” appears at the right-aligned tab. The page number in the header looks like
you simply typed the number 2, but you actually inserted a special instruction telling Word
to insert the correct page number on each page. Now consecutive page numbers will print
on each page of the header within this section.
8. Click the Close button on the Header and Footer toolbar to return to Normal view, and
then save your changes.
Trouble? If your document is not displayed in Normal view, switch to Normal view now.
You can use the Header and Footer toolbar to insert a page number in the style of
“Page 1 of 2.” In a header or footer, type the word “Page” followed by a space, click the
Insert Page Number button on the Header and Footer toolbar, type a space followed
by the word “of”, type another space, and then click the Insert Number of Pages button
on the Header and Footer toolbar to insert the total number of pages in the document.
Notice that you can’t see the header in Normal view. To see exactly how the header
will appear on the printed page, you need to switch to the Print Preview window or to
Print Layout view.