Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Inserting Symbols and Special Characters
Move the insertion point to the location where you want to insert a particular symbol or
Click Insert on the menu bar, and then click Symbol to open the Symbol dialog box.
Click the appropriate symbol, or click the name from the list on the Special Characters tab.
Click the Insert button.
Click the Close button.
Max noticed that he forgot to insert a registered trademark symbol (®) after “Flexistyle.”
He asks you to insert this symbol now, using the Symbol command on the Insert menu.
To insert the registered trademark symbol:
1. Scroll down to display the paragraph below the heading “Travel Time Knitware,” and then click
to the right of the word “Flexistyle.” (Take care to click between the final “e” and the comma.)
2. Click Insert on the menu bar, and then click Symbol to open the Symbol dialog box.
3. If necessary, click the Special Characters tab. See Figure 4-24.
Inserting a typographic symbol
4. Click Registered to select it, and then click the Insert button.
5. Close the Symbol dialog box. Word inserts an ® immediately after the word “Flexistyle.”
Finally, you need to format the symbol as superscript, so that it is raised slightly above the
6. Select the symbol, click Format on the menu bar, click Font , verify that the Font tab is
selected, click the Superscript check box to insert a check (in the Effects section of the
Font dialog box), and then click OK. The registered trademark symbol is now smaller and
raised slightly above the surrounding text.
Next, you need to adjust the columns of text so they are approximately the same length.