Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Case Problem 2
Data File needed for this Case Problem: Halley1.xls
Halley Food Co. Michael Li is working on the annual financial report for Halley Food
Corporation, one of the biggest food retailers in the country. He has entered some financial
data in an Excel workbook and would like you to complete the workbook by entering the
remaining data and the formulas needed to calculate the total values.
To complete this task:
Use the skills you have
learned to create a
balance sheet for a
1. Open the Halley1 workbook located in the Tutorial.01\Cases folder included with
your Data Files, and then save the workbook as Halley2 in the same folder.
2. Insert one row at the top of the worksheet, and then enter the following text on two
separates lines within cell A1:
Halley Food Co.
3. Increase the width of column A to 30 characters, the width of column B to 20 charac-
ters, and the width of column C to 26 characters. Decrease the height of row 1 to 30.
4. Move range H3:I9 to B28:C34. ( Note : The worksheet window will automatically
scroll as you move the selection down and to the left.)
5. Enter the following data in columns D, E, and F for the shareholders’ equity for
Preferred and common stock
Other comprehensive income
6. Using the AutoSum feature, calculate the totals for the current assets and the totals for
the other assets for each year.
7. In row 17, enter formulas to calculate the total assets for each year, which is the sum
of the total current assets and the total other assets.
8. Using the AutoSum feature, calculate the totals for the current liabilities and the totals
for the shareholders’ equity for each year.
9. In row 34, enter formulas to calculate the total liabilities and shareholders’ equity for
each year, which is the sum of the total current liabilities, the minority interest, and
the total shareholders’ equity for each year.
10. Rename Sheet1 as “Balance Sheet.”
11. Switch to Sheet2, and then enter the following information in the cells indicated:
• Cell A1: Halley Food Co.
• Cell A3: Date:
• Cell B3: current date
• Cell A4: Created By:
• Cell B4: your name
• Cell A5: Purpose:
• Cell B5: Balance sheet for Halley Food Co.
12. Resize column A to 20 characters and column B to 40 characters.
13. Rename Sheet2 as “Documentation” and move it to the beginning of the workbook.
Delete the empty sheet.
14. Use the Spell Checker to correct any spelling errors in the workbook, and then print
the entire workbook in landscape orientation.
15. Save your changes to the workbook, and then close it.