Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
According to Elsa’s design (Figure 2-5), the final three fields to be defined in the
Position table are ReferredBy, a text field, and StartDate and EndDate, both date/time
fields. You’ll define these three fields next.
To define the ReferredBy, StartDate, and EndDate fields:
1. Position the insertion point in the seventh row’s Field Name text box, type ReferredBy in
the text box, press the Tab key to advance to the Data Type text box, and then press the
Tab key again to accept the default Text data type.
2. Change the default Field Size of 50 to 30 for the ReferredBy field.
3. Set the Caption property for the field to Referred By .
4. Position the insertion point in the eighth row’s Field Name text box, type StartDate , and
then press the Tab key to advance to the Data Type text box.
5. Click the Data Type list arrow, click Date/Time to select this type, press the Tab key, and
then type Month/day/year in the Description text box.
Elsa wants the values in the StartDate field to be displayed in a format showing the month,
the day, and a four-digit year, as in the following example: 03/11/2006. You use the Format
property to control the display of a field value.
6. In the Field Properties pane, click the right side of the Format text box to display the list of
predefined formats. As noted in the right side of the Field Properties pane, you can either
choose a predefined format or enter a custom format.
Trouble? If you see a list arrow instead of a list of predefined formats, click the list arrow
to display the list.
None of the predefined formats matches the exact layout Elsa wants for the StartDate val-
ues. Therefore, you need to create a custom date format. Figure 2-11 shows some of the
symbols available for custom date and time formats. (A complete description of all the cus-
tom formats is available in Help.)
Symbols for some custom date formats
day of the month in one or two numeric digits, as needed (1 to 31)
day of the month in two numeric digits (01 to 31)
first three letters of the weekday (Sun to Sat)
full name of the weekday (Sunday to Saturday)
day of the week (1 to 7)
week of the year (1 to 53)
month of the year in one or two numeric digits, as needed (1 to 12)
month of the year in two numeric digits (01 to 12)
first three letters of the month (Jan to Dec)
full name of the month (January to December)
last two digits of the year (01 to 99)
full year (0100 to 9999)