Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Case Problem 2
Data Files needed for this Case Problem: Fitness.mdb (cont. from Tutorial 3) and
Parkhurst Health & Fitness Center Martha Parkhurst continues her work with the Fitness
database to track and analyze the business activity of the fitness center members and their
programs. To help her, you’ll enhance the Fitness database by completing the following:
Challenge yourself by
creating and working
with a form and a
report for this fitness
1. Open the Fitness database located in the Brief\Case2 folder provided with your
2. Use the Form Wizard to create a form containing a main form and a subform. Select
the ProgramID, MonthlyFee, and PhysicalRequired fields from the Program table for
the main form, and select the MemberID, FirstName, LastName, City, Phone, and
MembershipStatus fields from the Member table for the subform. Use the Datasheet
layout and the Industrial style. Specify the title Program Members for the main form
and the title Member Subform for the subform. Working in both Design view and
Form view, as necessary, resize the subform so that all fields in it are visible. Then
resize all columns in the subform to their best fit. Print the first main form record and
its displayed subform records.
3. For the form you just created, change the AutoFormat to SandStone, save the changed
form, and then print the first main form record and its subform records.
4. Navigate to the third record in the subform for the first main record, and then change
the MembershipStatus field value to Active.
5. Navigate to the tenth record in the main form, and then the fourth subform record.
Change the Phone field value for this record to 804-553-1275.
6. Rename the main form object to ProgramMembers and the subform object to
7. Use the Report Wizard to create a report based on the primary Program table and the
related Member table. Select all fields from the Program table, and then select the
following fields from the Member table: MemberID, FirstName, LastName, City,
Phone, DateJoined, and MembershipStatus. In the third Report Wizard dialog box,
specify the City field as an additional grouping level. Sort the detail records by
DateJoined in descending order. Choose the Align Left 1 layout, Landscape orientation,
and the Bold style for the report. Specify the title Programs and Members for the report.
8. Insert the Weights picture, which is located in the Brief\Case2 folder provided with
your Data Files, in the Report Header section of the Programs and Members report.
Leave the picture in its original position at the left edge of the Report Header section.
9. Use the “Type a question for help” box to ask the following question: “How do I
move a control in front of or behind other controls?” Click the topic “Move one or
more controls,” and then click the subtopic “Move a control in front of or behind
other controls.” Read the information and then close the Help window and the
Search Results task pane. Verify that the Weights picture is still selected, and then
move it behind the Programs and Members title.
10. Use the “Type a question for help” box to ask the following question: “How do I
change the background color of a control?” Click the topic “Change the background
color of a control or section.” Read the information and then close the Help window
and the Search Results task pane. Select the Programs and Members title object, and
then change its background color to Transparent.
11. Display the report in Print Preview. Print just the first page of the report, and then
close and save the report.
12. Rename the report object to ProgramsAndMembers .
13. Close the Fitness database.