Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Updating the AD schema
To update the AD schema, follow these steps:
1. Log on to your Exchange server with an account that has enterprise schema rights.
2. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
3. Enter the following command and make a note of the schema version:
dsquery * CN=ms-exch-schema-version-pt,CN=schema,CN=configuration,DC=<yourdomai
n>,DC=com –scope base –attr rangeupper
Figure 4-3 shows an example of this command being executed and the
Figure 4-3 Determine the schema version number for Exchange.
4. Update your schema version if it is less than 14734. If it is 14734 or higher, your AD
schema is already updated and you can skip the rest of the steps.
5. Download Exchange 2010 SP3 from the Microsoft Download Center at http://www.
microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36768 . You can also read about
the new features in Exchange 2010 SP3 from the Microsoft Exchange Team blog at
6. Extract the files into a directory.
7. Start a command prompt and navigate to the directory containing the extracted files.
8. As shown in Figure 4-4, run setup to prepare all domains in the forest for Exchange
2010 SP3 by using the /pad parameter: