Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Create and manage notes
You can organize notes by assigning them to color categories. In Icon view,
uncategorized notes are depicted in the default color set in the Outlook Options window;
categorized notes are depicted in the most recently assigned category color. You can also
attach notes to other Outlook items, such as contact records.
To create notes ➤
➜ In the Notes module, on the Home tab, in the New group, click the New Note
button or press Ctrl+N .
➜ In any module, press Ctrl+Shift+N .
Tip In Outlook 2013, Notes are not included on the New Items menu of other
To assign one or more notes to a color category ➤
1. In the Notes pane, select the note or notes you want to assign to the same
2. On the Home tab, in the Tags group, click the Categorize button and then, in the
list, click the category you want to assign.
To attach a note to a contact record ➤
1. Open the contact record window.
2. On the Insert tab, in the Include group, click Outlook Item .
3. In the Insert Item dialog box, in the Look in list, click the Notes folder, and then, in
the Items list, click the note you want to attach.
4. In the Insert as area, do one of the following:
To insert the note content in the Notes pane of the contact record, click
Text only .
To attach the note in the Notes pane of the contact record, click Attachment .
To create a link to the note in the Notes pane of the contact record, click
5. In the Insert Item dialog box, click OK .