Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
In addition, using a sketch of the worksheet can help you visualize its design. The
sketch for the HyperMass Online Storage Salary Report worksheet includes a title, a
subtitle, column and row headings, and the location of data values (Figure 2 – 3). It also
uses specic characters to dene the desired formatting for the worksheet, as follows:
1. The row of Xs below the leftmost column heading denes the cell entries as text,
such as employee names.
2. The rows of Zs and 9s with slashes, dollar signs, decimal points, commas, and
percent signs in the remaining columns dene the cell entries as numbers.
The Zs indicate that the selected format should instruct Excel to suppress
leading 0s. The 9s indicate that the selected format should instruct Excel to
display any digits, including 0s.
3. The decimal point means that a decimal point should appear in the cell entry
and indicates the number of decimal places to use.
4. The slashes in the last column identify the cell entry as a date.
5. The dollar signs that are adjacent to the Zs below the totals row signify a
oating dollar sign, or one that appears next to the rst signicant digit.
6. The commas indicate that the selected format should instruct Excel to display
a comma separator only if the number has sufcient digits (values in the
thousandths) to the left of the decimal point.
7. The percent sign (%) in the Tax % column indicates a percent sign should
appear after the number.
sketch of worksheet
HyperMass Online Storage
Figure 2 – 3
In this chapter, you will learn how to use functions and create formulas.
The following roadmap identies general activities you will perform as you progress
through this chapter:
1. ENTER FORMULAS in the worksheet.
2. ENTER FUNCTIONS in the worksheet.