Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
1 ENTER FORMULAS | 2 ENTER FUNCTIONS | 3 VERIFY FORMULAS
4 FORMAT WORKSHEET | 5 CHECK SPELLING | 6 PRINT WORKSHEET
To Check Spelling on the Worksheet
Why? Everything on a worksheet should be spell checked to make sure it is as accurate as possible. To illustrate how
Excel responds to a misspelled word, the following steps purposely misspell the word, Employee, in cell A3 as
the word, Empolyee, as shown in Figure 2 – 57.
• Tap or click cell A3 and then type Empolyee to misspell the word, Employee.
• Select cell A2 so that the spell checker begins checking at the selected cell.
• Tap or click REVIEW on the ribbon to display the REVIEW tab.
• Tap or click the Spelling button (REVIEW tab | Proong group) to run the spell checker and display
the misspelled word in the Spelling dialog box (Figure 2 – 57).
What happens when the spell checker nds a misspelled word?
When the spell checker identies that a cell contains a word not in its standard or custom dictionary, it selects that
cell as the active cell and displays the Spelling dialog box. The Spelling dialog box lists the word not found in the
dictionary and a list of suggested corrections (Figure 2 – 58).
Spelling dialog box
cell with misspelled
word is active cell
desired word in
indicates language used
to spell check
Figure 2 – 57
• Tap or click the Change button (Spelling dialog box) to change the misspelled word to the correct
word (Figure 2 – 58).
• Tap or click the Close button to close the Spelling dialog box.
• If a Microsoft Excel dialog box is displayed, tap or click the OK button.
• Tap or click anywhere in the worksheet, such as cell A18, to deselect the current cell.
• Display the HOME tab.
• Tap or click the Save button on the Quick Access Toolbar to save the workbook.
What other actions can I take in the Spelling dialog box?
If one of the words in the Suggestions list is correct, tap or click it and then tap or click the Change button. If
none of the suggestions is correct, type the correct word in the Not in Dictionary text box and then tap or click the
Change button. To change the word throughout the worksheet, tap or click the Change All button instead of the
Change button. To skip correcting the word, tap or click the Ignore Once button. To have Excel ignore the word for
the remainder of the worksheet, tap or click the Ignore All button.