Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Extend Your Knowledge
Extend Your Knowledge
Extend the skills you learned in this chapter and experiment with new skills. You may
need to use Help to complete the assignment.
Applying Conditional Formatting to Cells
Note: To complete this assignment, you will be required to use the Data Files for Students. Visit
www.cengage.com/ct/studentdownload for detailed instructions or contact your instructor for
information about accessing the required les.
Instructions: Run Excel. Open the workbook Extend 2–1 Fentine Blogworld. Perform the
following tasks to apply four types of conditional formatting to cells in a worksheet:
1. Select the range C4:C16. Tap or click the Conditional Formatting button (HOME tab | Styles
group) and then tap or click New Rule on the Conditional Formatting menu. Select ‘Format
only top or bottom ranked values’ in the Select a Rule Type area (New Formatting Rules dialog
box), as shown in Figure 2 – 71. Enter any value between 10 and 30 in the text box in the Edit
the Rule Description (New Formatting Rule dialog box) area, and then tap or click the ‘% of
the selected range’ check box to select it. Tap or click the Format button, and choose a purple
background in the Fill sheet to assign this conditional format. Tap or click the OK button in
each dialog box and view the worksheet.
2. With range C4:C16 selected, apply a conditional format to the range that uses an orange
background color to highlight cells with scores that are below average.
3. With range D4:D16 selected, apply a conditional format to the range that uses a green
background to highlight cells that contain a value between 200 to 400.
4. With range E4:E16 selected, apply a conditional format to the range that uses a red
background color to highlight cells that contain Art or Food. ( Hint: You need to apply two
separate formats, one for Art and one for Food.)
5. When might you want to look for values above the average in a worksheet?
6. Change the document properties as specied by your instructor. Save the workbook using the
le name, Extend 2-1 Fentine Blogworld Complete. Submit the revised workbook as specied
by your instructor.
Figure 2 – 71