Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Saving and Organizing Files
• Tap or click the New folder button
on the Quick Access Toolbar to
create a new folder with the name,
New folder, selected in a text box
Why is the folder icon displayed
differently on my computer?
Windows might be congured
to display contents differently on
text box containing
• Type CIS 101 (or your class
code) in the text box as the new
If requested by your instructor,
add your last name to the end
of the folder name.
• Press the ENTER key to change the
folder name from New folder to a
folder name identifying your class
arrows on address
bar for navigating
showing folder icon to
left of folder name
le list appears in
What happens when I press
the ENTER key?
The class folder (CIS 101, in
this case) is displayed in the le list,
which contains the folder name,
date modied, type, and size.
1. Press CTRL + SHIFT + N
2. Tap or click the New folder button (Home tab | New group)
T O C REATE A F OLDER U SING W INDOWS 7
If you are using Windows 7, perform these steps to create a folder instead of the
previous steps that use Windows 8.
1. Click the Windows Explorer button on the taskbar to run Windows Explorer.
2. Click the Documents library in the navigation pane to display the contents of
the Documents library in the le list.
3. Click the New folder button on the toolbar to display a new folder icon with
the name, New folder, selected in a text box.
4. Type CIS 101 (or your class code) in the text box to name the folder.
5. Press the key to create the folder.
The Documents window (shown in Figure 38) is called a folder window. Recall that
a folder is a specic named location on a storage medium that contains related les. Most
users rely on folder windows for nding, viewing, and managing information on their