Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Renaming, Moving, and Deleting Files
T O R ENAME A F ILE U SING W INDOWS 7
If you are using Windows 7, perform these steps to rename a le instead of
the previous steps that use Windows 8.
1. If necessary, click the Windows Explorer app button on the taskbar to
make the folder window the active window.
2. Navigate to the location of the le to be renamed (in this case, the Excel
folder in the CIS 101 [or your class folder] folder in the My Documents folder
in the Documents library) to display the le(s) it contains in the le list.
3. Right-click the Inverstonit Electronics icon or le name in the le list to
select the Inverstonit Electronics le and display a shortcut menu that
presents a list of commands related to les.
4. Click Rename on the shortcut menu to place the current le name in a
5. Type Inverstonit Electronics Worksheet in the text box and
then press the key.
1 SIGN IN | 2 USE WINDOWS | 3 USE APPS | 4 FILE MANAGEMENT | 5 SWITCH APPS | 6 SAVE FILES
7 CHANGE SCREEN RESOLUTION | 8 EXIT APPS | 9 USE ADDITIONAL APP FEATURES | 10 USE HELP
To Move a File
Why? At some time, you may want to move a le from one folder, called the source folder, to another, called the
destination folder. When you move a le, it no longer appears in the original folder. If the destination and the
source folders are on the same media, you can move a le by dragging it. If the folders are on different media,
then you will need to press and hold and then drag, or right-drag the le, and then click Move here on the
shortcut menu. The following step moves the Inverstonit Electronics Income and Expenses le from the Excel
folder to the CIS 101 folder. If you are using Windows 7, skip these steps and instead perform the steps in the
yellow box that immediately follows these Windows 8 steps.
• In File Explorer, if necessary,
navigate to the location of the
le to be moved (in this case,
the Excel folder in the CIS 101
folder [or your class folder] in the
• If necessary, tap or click the Excel
folder in the navigation pane to
display the les it contains in the
• Drag the Inverstonit Electronics
Income and Expenses le in the
right pane to the CIS 101 folder
in the navigation pane and notice
the ScreenTip as you drag the
mouse (Figure 87).
Excel icon appears
as you drag le
Excel le to be moved
contents of Excel folder
le dragged to
CIS 101 folder
• Click the CIS 101 folder in the
navigation pane to verify that the
le was moved.
1. Press and hold or right-click le to move, tap or click Cut on shortcut menu, press and
hold or right-click destination folder, tap or click Paste on shortcut menu
2. Select le to move, press CTRL + X , select destination
folder, press CTRL + V