Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Inserting Page Breaks
Creating a header (or footer)
To create a header or footer, follow these steps:
1. Click the Insert tab.
2. Click the Header or Footer icon in the Header & Footer group.
A pull-down menu appears.
3. Click Edit Header (or Edit Footer).
Word displays your header or footer.
You can click on a predefined header (or footer) that’s already
formatted to look pretty so you don’t have to spend time formatting it yourself.
Headers and footers are visible only when you display a document in
Print Layout view.
4. Type, edit, or delete any text you want to change.
5. (Optional) Click the Date & Time or Page Number icons of the
Design contextual tools to insert the date and time or page numbers,
6. Click the Close Header and Footer icon.
Word dims your header and footer text.
Defining which pages to display
a header (or footer)
Usually when you define a header or footer, Word displays that header or
footer on every page of your document. However, Word gives you the option
of displaying a different header and footer for your first page only, or
displaying different headers and footers for odd and even pages.
Creating a unique header or footer for your first page
Often, you want a header or footer to display page numbers and document
or chapter titles — just not on the first page of your document. To create a
unique header or footer that appears only on your first page, follow these
1. Click the Insert tab, click the Header icon in the Header & Footer
group, and choose Edit Header.
The Design tab appears, as shown in Figure 7-2.