Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Formatting Numbers and Labels
4. Click a number format style, such as Percentage or Scientific.
Excel displays your numbers in your chosen format.
Displaying negative numbers
Because many people use spreadsheets for business, they often want
negative numbers to appear highlighted so they can see them easier. Excel can
display negative numbers in parentheses (–23) or in red so you can’t miss
To define how negative numbers appear in your spreadsheet, follow these
1. Select the cell or range of cells that you want to modify.
2. Click the Home tab.
3. Click the Format icon in the Cells group.
A menu appears, as shown in Figure 8-5.
4. Choose Format Cells.
The Format Cells dialog box appears, as shown in Figure 8-6.
5. Choose Currency or Number from the Category list.
You can choose how to format negative numbers only if you format your
numbers by using the Currency or Number category.
6. Click a negative number format and then click OK.
If any of your numbers become negative in the cell or cells you selected
in Step 1, Excel automatically displays those negative numbers in the
negative number format you chose.