Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Editing a Spreadsheet
By default, Excel gives each sheet a generic name such as Sheet1. To give
your sheets a more descriptive name, follow these steps:
1. Choose one of the following:
• Double-click the sheet tab that you want to rename.
Excel highlights the entire sheet name.
• Click the sheet tab you want to rename, click the Home tab, click the
Format icon in the Cells group, and choose Rename Sheet.
• Right-click the sheet tab you want to rename; when a pop-up menu
appears, choose Rename.
2. Type a new name for your sheet and press Enter when you’re done.
Your new name appears on the sheet tab.
You can rearrange the order that your sheets appear in your workbook. To
rearrange a sheet, follow these steps:
1. Move the mouse pointer over the sheet tab that you want to move.
2. Hold down the left mouse button and drag (move) the mouse.
The downward-pointing black arrow points where Excel will place your
3. Release the left mouse button to place your sheet in a new order.
Deleting a sheet
Using multiple sheets may be handy, but you may want to delete a sheet if
you don’t need it.
If you delete a sheet, you also delete all the data stored on that sheet.
To delete a sheet, follow these steps:
1. Click on the sheet that you want to delete.
2. Choose one of the following:
• Right-click the tab of the sheet you want to delete. When a pop-up
menu appears, click Delete.