Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
5. Click a function.
The Function Arguments dialog box appears, as shown in Figure 9-3.
6. Click the cell references you want to use.
7. Repeat Step 6 as many times as necessary.
8. Click OK.
Excel displays the calculation of your function in the cell you selected in
Using the AutoSum command
One of the most useful and commonly used command is the AutoSum
command. The AutoSum command uses the SUM function to add two or more cell
references without making you type those cell references yourself. The most
common use for the AutoSum function is to add a column or row of numbers.
To add a column or row of numbers with the AutoSum function, follow these
1. Create a column or row of numbers that you want to add.
2. Click at the bottom of the column or the right of the row.
3. Click the Formulas tab.
4. Click the AutoSum icon in the Function Library group.
Excel automatically creates a SUM function in the cell you chose in Step
2 and highlights all the cells where it will retrieve data to add, as shown
in Figure 9-4. (If you accidentally click the downward-pointing arrow
under the AutoSum icon, a pull-down menu appears. Just choose Sum.)