Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Answer the following questions using your Excel printout. Be sure to include
the plus or minus sign for each correlation:
9. What is the correlation between GRE VERBAL and FIRST-YEAR GPA?
10. What is the correlation between GRE QUANTITATIVE and FIRST-YEAR
11. What is the correlation between GRE WRITING and FIRST-YEAR GPA?
12. What is the correlation between GRE BIOLOGY and FIRST-YEAR GPA?
13. What is the correlation between GRE WRITING and GRE VERBAL?
14. What is the correlation between GRE VERBAL and GRE BIOLGY?
15. Discuss which of the four predictors is the best predictor of FIRST-YEAR
16. Explain in words how much better the four predictor variables together predict
FIRST-YEAR GPA than the best single predictor by itself.
2. In order to grow properly, most plants need water, warmth, carbon
dioxide gas, light, and minerals. Suppose you wanted to study the
relationship between temperature and precipitation and their effect on plant
productivity. In ecological terms, ‘‘productivity’’ refers to the amount of
plant growth and it is measured in grams per meter squared per year
(g/m 2 /year) at the site. Precipitation (rainfall) is measured as the annual
mean precipitation (cm/year) at the site. Temperature is measured as the
average annual temperature in degrees Centigrade ( o C) at the site. Let
productivity be the dependent variable (criterion), and precipitation and
Hypothetical data for 14 sites are presented in Fig. 7.11 .
Worksheet Data for Chap. 7: Practice Problem #2
(a) create an Excel spreadsheet using PRODUCTIVITY as the criterion (Y),
and the other variables as the two predictors of this criterion.
Search JabSto ::