Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Editing Headers and Footers
• Next Displays the header or footer used in the next section based on the current
location of your cursor. If you click Next Section while in the header area, the cursor
jumps to the header area in the next section of your document. Note that you must
have section breaks, different first page, or different odd and even headers and
footers in your document to use this feature.
• Link To Previous Links the headers and footers in the current section to the
preceding section. Using this option, you can create a continuous low from section to
section. You can also click in the header or footer area and click Ctrl+Shift+R to link
the header or footer area to the preceding section. Note that you must have
additional sections in your document to use this feature.
• Different First Page Specifies that you want to format the first page’s headers and
footers differently. For example, you might prefer to omit the page number on a
cover page. This option is also available in the Page Setup dialog box.
• Different Odd & Even Pages With this tool you can format headers and footers
separately for odd and even pages. For example, you might choose to have the left
page headers display your book’s title while the right page headers display the
chapter title. This option is also available in the Page Setup dialog box.
• Show Document Text Toggles the display of the document’s contents. You can
hide document text to simplify your view as you create and edit headers and footers.
• header From Top Controls where the header is positioned from the top edge of
the page. This option is also available in the Page Setup dialog box.
• Footer From Bottom Controls where the footer is positioned from the bottom
edge of the page. This option is also available in the Page Setup dialog box.
• Insert Alignment Tab Opens the Alignment Tab dialog box to insert a tab relative
to the margin or indent. See the following Inside Out tip titled “Alignment Tabs: The
‘Relative’ Scoop” for more information on this new feature.
• Close header And Footer Closes the header and footer areas as well as the Header
& Footer Tools.
To manually add or edit a document’s header and footer, simply double-click in
the header or footer area and type the text you want to add or select text to edit it