Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
In the Lab
Modify a workbook using the guidelines, concepts, and skills presented in this Graphics
feature. Labs are listed in order of increasing difﬁ culty.
Lab 1: Inserting a Hierarchy Chart and Image on a Worksheet
Problem: You are the director of your town’s softball league and are planning the league’s playoff
schedule. You want to create a worksheet that illustrates the playoff matchups for the teams in one of
Instructions: Start Excel and open the Lab GF-1 Mitchelltown Softball League workbook from the
Data Files for Students and then save it as Lab GF-1 Mitchelltown Softball League Complete.
Perform the following tasks:
1. Insert a SmartArt graphic using the Hierarchy type and select the Horizontal Hierarchy layout
type (column 1, row 2) in the layout area in the Choose a SmartArt Graphic dialog box.
2. Select the hierarchy chart and then click the Right to Left button on the Design tab on the Ribbon
to change the layout of the hierarchy chart to read from left to right.
3. Right-click the lower shape in the middle column of the hierarchy chart, point to Add Shape on
the shortcut menu, and then click Add Shape Below on the Add Shape submenu.
4. Move and resize the chart so that the upper-left corner of the chart is aligned with the upper-left
corner of cell A15 and the lower-right corner of the chart is aligned with the lower-right corner of
5. From top to bottom, change the text in the shapes in the left column of the hierarchy chart to
read Angels, Sox, Mariners, and Mets. Change the text in both shapes in the middle column of the
hierarchy chart to Winner Game 1. Change the text in the shape on the right side of the hierarchy
chart to Division Champion.
6. Change the color scheme of the hierarchy chart to Colorful – Accent Colors (column 1, row 2) in
the Change Colors gallery.
7. Change the font size of the text in the shapes to 16 using the Font Size box on the Home tab on
8. Use the Shape Effects gallery to change the effects on the chart to Preset 9 in the Preset gallery.
9. Insert the Mitchelltown Softball League.jpg image ﬁ le from the Data Files for Students on the
10. Move and resize the image so that the upper-left corner of the image is aligned with the upper-left
corner of cell A1 and the lower-right corner of the image is aligned with the lower-right corner of
11. Select the image. Click the Format tab on the Ribbon and then select the Reﬂ ected Perspective
Right picture style (column 5, row 4) in the Picture Styles gallery.
12. Change the document properties as speciﬁ ed by your instructor. Change the worksheet header
with your name, course number, and other information requested by your instructor. Save the
workbook. Submit the assignment as requested by your instructor.