Microsoft Office Tutorials and References
In Depth Information
Tip 3: Customizing the Ribbon
Figure 3-1: The Customize Ribbon tab of the Excel Options dialog box.
Customizing the Ribbon is very similar to customizing the Quick Access toolbar, which is described in
Tip 2. The only difference is that you need to decide where to put the command within the Ribbon.
Here’s the general procedure:
1. Right-click any part of the Ribbon, and choose Customize the Ribbon. Excel displays the
Customize Ribbon tab of the Excel Options dialog box.
2. Use the drop-down list on the left (labeled Choose Command From) to display various
groups of commands.
3. Locate the command you want in the list box on the left and select it.
4. Use the drop-down list on the right (labeled Customize the Ribbon) to choose a group of tabs.
Main Tabs refers to the tabs that are always visible; Tool Tabs refers to the context tabs that
appear when a particular object is selected.
5. In the list box on the right, select the tab and the group where you want to put the command.
You must click the “plus sign” controls to expand the hierarchical lists. Remember that you
cannot add commands to built-in groups, so you may need to use the New Tab or New
Group buttons to add a tab or group.
6. Click the Add button to add the selected command from the left to the group on the right.
When you are finished making your Ribbon changes, click OK to close the Excel Options dialog box.